Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cake Lessons 101

With the cakes that I made & deliver, I can get into a routine and just go through the actions. Its only once in a great while that something makes me stop and think about how great some people's need is. Recently I've been making so many cakes, that I sometimes think 'how is a silly little cake such a big deal' and I question why I do it. Today I got my answer. I had make this Christmas tree shaped cake for a little girl's birthday. I wanted to try something new, and since it was the holidays I decided to use my special holiday pan. It was an okay cake....nothing special. While driving to deliver I think 'I hope they aren't too disappointed that it's not perfect' or 'I hope they don't mind that I didn't make the typical pink and purple princess cake'. I got to this old lop-sided trailer that's windows were so thin I thought for a moment that they have their windows open because I hear the kids talking. The woman answers the door with two little toddlers standing in diapers. It broke my heart. Even though I didn't think the cake was perfect, it was much more than she could have asked for. Something I take for granted can be so much more important to someone else. Wow, eye opening moment!

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:17-18

No comments: