Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I never thought I'd have so much fun with camo tape...


For those that know us, know that we are obsessed with geocaching. Maybe me, more than others, but we've had some great experiences, seen some cool places and made it a family activity. We planted our first geocache back in summer 2004. Since then it's been found by 192 people! All those people came to that spot to find our geocache and saw a place that they probably didn't know existed. This geocache called "Widows Peak" is in an old cemetery in our town.

We hid some others over the years, but they've never been as successful, mostly due to flooding. We've hidden two on pedestrian bridges - underneath with magnets, but unfortunately the creeks around here flood and recede leaving us unsuccessful.

This spring we are creating a geocache series in a local trail park. There are over 8 miles of trail and we are confident that we'll find plenty of opportunities! With that in mind, I set out to create our caches. I like to do things differently so I brainstormed some crazy hiding places. Here is what we designed...


Did I mention I love camo tape?

It didn't feel right making the incision....
but it was the only way to hide a film canister inside.
We'll see if we can find a place to hid him in the woods!

Old birdhouse with camo'd canister in hole

Suet cages covered in camo tape on both sides.
Great for hanging in trees

1 comment:

Super dad said...

I'm looking forward to finding some of these!