Sunday, July 13, 2008

Failure to Thrive

At Heidi's six month appointment, she had only gained 1/2 lb. in 3 months. She went from 90% to 35%. The doctor wanted to see her back at 7 months. We went last week and go her stats again. She did gain almost another pound, but dropped down to 25%. The doctor labeled this "failure to thrive" on the form. She insisted it was just a term to describe our visit. But, when a mother hears failure to thrive it kind of makes me feel like failure as a mom. So, our instructions were to up the soilds and start some formula. So after 7 months of exclusive breastfeeding, Heidi is now taking a bottle. At first I was really sentimental about anyone or anything coming between our special relationship. But, now that I step back and enjoy Jeff giving her a bottle, I now sense a little freedom. I am still breastfeeding, but since it's not exclusive I can leave the house, get a babysitter, feed her on the run...you get the point. I never really had a clear timeline for my goal, but I'm pretty dang impressed with myself. And its not over yet, so maybe we'll make it to a year.

Now, moving along with my failure to thrive post -
Today, I got an orpaned baby kitten. I'm trying to bottle feed her, keep her warm, etc. She's so tiny and helpless. And just what I need....another "failing to thrive" dependent! I'm going to work diligently to help her grow and survive. It's only been one day, but it's a lot of work. If she does well, I'll update again later this week.

No comments: