Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gingerbread Fairy Village

We, meaning Liddy & I, decided to make a gingerbread house for the annual competition at Connor Prairie. At first glance, I figured the $10 entry fee was worth a try. Then, I bought supplies - and went back for more supplies.....it wasn't cheap to make this gingerbread house! We decided to make a fairy mushroom house.

First I had to 1) figure out how to make a dome and 2) hoped it would work. I baked the gingerbread over a metal bowl - and it worked!


We went through 2 lbs. of powered sugar to make the royal (rock hard glue like) icing to make it stick. Added a few details...tic tac toe game table, pine trees, fence and bonfire. And ta-da!


Then off to Connor Prairie we went! 
We just got back from the Gingerbread Awards & Reception. The creations were amazing! We didn't win any awards, except a certificate acknowledging our hard work - and some ideas for next year!


No comments: